Sunday 1 August 2010

Still watching: Dr Koto's Clinic


Every now and again, when I'm in the mood, I sit down and watch another episode of this series. For some reason, it lends itself quite well to long gaps between viewings as the characters and storyline are never so complex that you might lose some of the more subtle aspects.

* spoilers, yeah? *

In the ninth episode, Aoi Yu's character's history catches up with her as her estranged husband turns up at the clinic uninvited. I won't give away what happens between them, but suffice to say her husband was seriously ill. I admit I laughed when he said that. Does that make me a bad person? But I figured of course he was ill: otherwise there's no reason for him to be on the island!

Anyway, the series is as relaxing as ever, despite the high number of locals with life-threatening illnesses. I think I have just two episodes left, so it just remains for me to find the time to sit down and watch them.

6 comments:

  1. Series 1 was a better Koto season, I think. It was... more emotional.

    It's funny that Shugo plays Yu's pimp in AALCC, and here... well, he plays this. I'm so glad they did Hito no SEKKUSU though. Who would have thought they had that much chemistry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the things I like most about J-dramas is that they tend to end the story when the series ends. But, as I've learnt, this doesn't mean you can just start on series two and things'll be fine.

    Recently I was watching a Japanese film, and was a little surprised how they didn't set up any of the characters. I watched it and thought it was okay, but afterwards did some research and found that it was a sequel to a TV series. Which would explain why I watched most of it thinking "Who's he?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, though I believe the Nodame movies released recently did have flashbacks of the show - which were removed for the TV broadcast.

    Sometimes I don't watch those movies because I'm not sure I'll be able to get them.

    By the way, you should star Atami no Sousakan (or however that Satoshi Miki and Joe Odagiri drama is called). And Unubore Deka - if only for Yu's episode LOL. Have yet to see ep003.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah, I'd completely forgotten about Atami no Sousakan! Downloading it now. Thanks.

    Unubore Deka sounds good, but I'm still waiting for Tomalicious to do hardsubs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tomalicious has released 3 episodes of Unubore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yes. So they have. It's been a while since I checked... :/

    ReplyDelete