Wednesday 30 June 2010

Currently watching: Shinzanmono



This mystery from Keigo Higashino, the same writer as Galileo, centres around an amiable detective who’s new in town, as he investigates a grisly murder.

Although so far all the people connected to the victim who’ve been acting suspiciously have been doing so for purely altruistic reasons, and the only secrets they’ve been keeping is how much they love their family. While some of the twists in each episode are ingenious, it’s losing quite a lot of momentum. As a result, five episodes in, I’ve kind of forgotten what the initial murder was about.

Here’s hoping that things will change as the series finale nears. With the writer’s previous pedigree I’m not too worried and Abe Hiroshi (Trick, At Home Dad) is always watchable, so I’ll happily see this through to the end.

2 comments:

  1. I love Abe Hiroshi =D I haven't watched Galileo though, I always feel mystery Jdramas focus a lot on the love for their family. Kind of like Voice - that series with Eita - that was about a forensic team, who decide to investigate on their own to only discover how much the victims were loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked Voice, and Shinzanmono (so far) fits into the same uplifting "not all secrets are bad" kind of story. Galileo, though, is a bit different. Science used to solve proper murders by proper murderers, and barely a family in sight. Well, perhaps a couple. I should write about it one day.

    ReplyDelete